Monday, January 19, 2009

الجامعة الأمريكية بالقاهرة

DSCN7017 

After my first semester attending the AUC (American University in Cairo) I thought I would post some pictures, tell a little bit about the new campus and my experiences there.

Attending AUC during its first semester moving to a new campus was quite an adventure. The school wasn't quite done. And by not quite done I mean the school wasn't prepared nor was campus construction completed. I can recall quite a few classes where I could not hear my teacher standing 4 feet in front of me because of a jack hammer. Fire alarm lights constantly went off, AC seemed like it was constantly set to "freezing" and our teachers electronic keys often times wouldn't let them into our locked classroom. But amid the many headaches frustrations often associated with a new school campus, learning still happened. I remember walking to the library after my first day of classes so frustrated with my new subject of study. Learning Arabic isn't like learning Spanish. You have to learn all new written characters with strange sounds in just the first week. By day 5 they expect you to know how to read. That's quite a daunting task if you ask me. But some how with all the jack hammering and freezing cold class room I figured it all out.

DSCN7044

This is my bus stop just down the road from our apartment. This is the actual bus I take to school.

 

DSCN6993 

This is the entrance from the where all the buses stop and students enter in.

 

This blog post was "in production" when my external hard drive crashed. Hence all the pictures I had for this have been lost. If the hard drive is ever revived I can finish this post.

No comments: